This is the life of me, here and now. Wife, Mum of two beautiful ratbags, and trying to find me in there somewhere too! Blogging the thoughts and journey through PND that has me where I am today. This is the life of my Happy (and sometimes not so happy) Mayhem..

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cheer Up Charlie...

Really?! I had not thought of that option, oh Thank You now I can move on and be happy again! Can I just share with you a little secret, telling someone suffering depression to 'Cheer Up' is some of the most unhelpful and somewhat offensive advice you can give.

I hate feeling this way, and don't you think that if I could just 'cheer up' I would? I understand that it is not exactly fun being with a depressed person, remember I hang out with one 24 hours, 7 days a week. But putting aside peoples own thoughts for a moment, and think about how much the said depressed person could really do with your help. Like you would help a person with a broken leg get about.. Just because you can not physically see depression, does not mean it does not deserve just as much help!

Like I said, I don't expect people who have not been there to fully understand. But try and think of it this way, depression is not just an emotion that you can snap out of with a funny joke. It is an illness. Right now I can tell you I feel sad.. lonely and sad. Why? I have no freaking idea, and that makes it 10 times harder to get through it. I can tell you that life with 2 under 3 probably has a lot to do with it, but I can not pin point anything in particular. Life comes in peaks and troughs, and I would like to think of this as one of those troughs. Not like the fun trough you experience on a roller coaster.. but the very depressing trough when you fall down a hole and can't get out. I know I will find light at the end of the tunnel.. but how long is this tunnel? How long does this trough last?

So if you see me or someone in the same position feeling depressed, please do not say 'Cheer up Charlie'... Because I will be fighting the urge to kick you in the shins... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment